In the inaugural episode of Making Synapses we discuss different carbohydrates and their impacts on cognitive factors including mood, motivation and energy through the lens of biochemical changes, specifically talking the neurotransmitters and hormones: serotonin, dopamine, cortisol, and insulin.
The roadmap of Making Synapses Ep.1 is as follows:
- What are Carbohydrates?
- How Carbohydrates can be functionally categorised;
The effect of High Glycemic Load meals on biochemical response with regard to cognitive function
The effect of Low Glycemic Load meals on biochemical response with regard to cognitive function.
- The effect of Fibres on offsetting High Glycemic Load meals;
- Soluble Fibres;
- Insoluble Fibres;
- White Bread versus White Bread with added Soluble Fibre Article.
Nature (2012). Effects on cognitive performance of modulating the postprandial blood glucose profile at breakfast;
- Personal experience and insights and how I will strategically eat throughout the day. Adjusting to different days / lifestyles.
- Nature (2012). Effects on cognitive performance of modulating the postprandial blood glucose profile at breakfast.
- Cell (2020). The neuroscience of sugars in taste, gut-reward, feeding circuits, and obesity.
- Intech Open (2019). Feed your Mind.
National Academies Press (US)(1994). Food Components to Enhance Performance: An Evaluation of Potential Performance-Enhancing Food Components for Operational Rations.
Got more questions?
Nice Supplement Co. was built off the enquiring mind - so please, ask away - we'd be very happy to help.
You can see our contact page here.